Tuesday, January 19, 2010

First Entry =)

I have an obsession. It's food. I love anything and everything about food. I love cooking, I love going to restaurants, and I even love going grocery shopping. When I saw that there was a new course called, "Language and Food", I knew I had to take it. In this course I hope to learn something new and interesting surrounding the kitchen table, at a fancy restaurant, or around my Starbucks while I am working. I would also like to broaden my vocabulary on kinds of dialect or cultural differences revolving around food. Lastly, I want to learn more about Japanese culture, food, and language, if possible. (Since there were a few things that came across my mind during the class discussion in reference to Japanese culture.) All in all, I expect an interesting and "yummy" upcoming semester. ^^

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dollarsandsense/detail?entry_id=55562

Here's a random, short food blog (article?) I came across on the internet. It basically talks about how our society is encouraging "healthy" eating, even at fast food places. It mentions places such a Taco Bell and Subway changing around their menus in order to accommodate people's wants/needs. It's interesting because it made me realize the healthy promo Starbucks is going through. We are promoting "skinny" lattes such as our skinny vanilla latte or skinny cinnamon dolce latte. It is interesting because I believe "skinny" has picked up a new definition in this so called trying to be "health"y society. At least in this particular coffee shop, "skinny" stands for nonfat (or should I say skim) and sugar-free. It is most likely that it has originated from the word skinny describing a person's body mass, but it's just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. Maybe you can do your project on something related to language and food trends in Japan or in Japanese. Also, thought the article you picked doesn't say much about language, your comments in response to it (about using the word "skinny" for "low-fat") is really a good insight. Thanks for this thought. Dr. Freed

    ReplyDelete